TerminusX Motors

If it has a battery and a gearbox, this is where it belongs

TerminusX Motors

Postby NorthernHurricane7 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Merlin Tx Uber Torque motor - $85
-almost 14,200rpm @ 8.4V 2A
-Neo Magnets (hand picked)
-for MS210 (and above) springs and below

I saw this on ASM after Epic Skills mentioned the TerminusX motors in another thread. So, how amazing are these things supposed to be? How do they compare to other motors out there? I've never heard of "MS" series springs either, only "M," "SP" and others. What would a MS210 spring be like compared to regular "M" rated springs (like a M150 for example).
NorthernHurricane7
Dragoon

Re: TerminusX Motors

Postby epic skills on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:31 pm

...before someone comes in here and starts spouting off nonsense, I figure I'll post.

I mentioned them as being a potential for a great high performance motor, TerminusX has just begun producing motors so there is no information on them.

M = meters per second
MS = meters per second, a MS210 is a M210
SP = manufacturer fails and can't just write M

It refers to the Prometheus MS210, the strongest AEG spring on the market, which is approx. 690 fps with .20. (vs. that m150 which is technically just under 500 fps)

The uber torque motor was designed with very knowledgable users as the buyer. They are supposed to offer the most torque of any motor on the market by a long shot, however, as a consequence, they are slow. This is the motor that a real mechanic runs 10:1 gears on a m150 with.

For all practical purposes, the regular high torque version would be the best.

I have not yet tried one myself, though I will be picking up the regular high torque version at some point.
epic skills
King General

Postby NorthernHurricane7 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Cool. I don't think too many of us need to pull almost 700 FPS out of an airsoft gun for normal circumstances, but being able to pull an M150 on 10:1 gears is an impressive feat.

epic skills wrote:The uber torque motor was designed with very knowledgable users as the buyer. They are supposed to offer the most torque of any motor on the market by a long shot, however, as a consequence, they are slow. This is the motor that a real mechanic runs 10:1 gears on a m150 with.

For all practical purposes, the regular high torque version would be the best.

TerminusX said that this motor was getting almost 14,200 RPM on a 8.4 volt battery at two amps. Just for comparison, what would your average high torque motor (like an SHS or JG or something) do on a 8.4?

The high speed motor TerminusX posted about had these specs:

Merlin Sx High Speed motor - $85
-58,000rpm @ 12V 7A
-Neo magnets (hand picked)
-for M120 springs and below

So Epic, you're saying there's an inbetween motor speed/torque wise? I didn't see it on the ASM page.

Here's the link. http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/inde ... pic=5645.0
NorthernHurricane7
Dragoon

Postby epic skills on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Used to be a "thunder" motor listed, or something of the likes... I expect that it was like a more refined and efficient JG red. We haven't really gotten around to listing rpms for most motors... Though I do need to see if there is any equipment at school I can use to clock it.

The torque motor that dissapeared was supposed to be the answer to a magnum-esque motor, the uber torque is supposed to be the more-torque-than-anything-you've-ever-seen-before motor, though slow.
epic skills
King General

Postby NorthernHurricane7 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Get a tachometer. I have this one, but for airsoft purposes it won't do a lot of good if the motor goes over 32,000 RPM because that's its maximum. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XPT32&P=ML

Since this is an optical RPM sensor, you'd need to put a black plastic disc with a solid white stripe down the center of it onto the motor shaft, energize the motor, and point the tachometer onto one side of the spinning disc. I personally haven't done this, but I got it from an article in an RC magazine, so I think it should work.

I like the sound of these TerminusX motors... maybe I'll get one sometime, if I decide the price is right.

EDIT: Well, here's another way. This way is a little more applicable, because the motor is under load. Just take the ROF measurement of your gun with the motor you want to test. Take the Rounds Per Second times the gear ratio (example: 20 RPS times 18, if you have standard 18:1 gears, 13 for 13:1, etc.) Then take that number times 60 to convert from revolutions per second to revolutions per minute. For the example taking 20 RPS times 18 (the gear ratio) times 60 equals 21,600 RPM that the motor shaft is turning.
NorthernHurricane7
Dragoon

Return to AEGs