squrrel shooting

Anything goes... within the forum rules

Re: squrrel shooting

Postby CybeRoguE on Sat May 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Yeah. I used to have a raccoon problem here where they were always knocking over our garbage and such. Unfortunately I didn't have a rifle or any firearms because I'm in NY (which has near impossible to get permits). I just took out my P90 and shot them (there were two) like 20x, they never came back >.>
CybeRoguE
Eat. Sleep. Live on the forum

Postby jonjon87 on Sat May 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Today alone I killed two birds in my backyard with my Wilson Combat 1911. Needless to say, I was shocked that a gas gun can kill a bird.
KWA USP .45 --- Needs rebuild
Total debt = $1,733.30
jonjon87
Knight

Postby xraydelta7 on Sat May 16, 2009 7:28 pm

SPC wrote:That has something to do with reflexes I believe. Its the same reason chickens can continue iving even after their heads have been cut off, even if it isn't for too long.
i heard that a guy for some reason was being chased by the cops and jumped out a 3 story building and hit his head on the fall and killed himself but the adrenaline or nerves made his body keep running :shock:
OFFICAL MEMBER OF ASGIF G&G OWNERS CLUB, we go golfing every friday afternoon :lol:
Total spent on airsoft:$698.25
AIM towards the Enemy.
- Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
xraydelta7
Dragoon

Postby zenmic on Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 am

adog12341, I forget where are you located? There are parts of the US that have issues even with airguns (bb/pellet guns, airsoft guns, or paintball guns) being shot inside city limits. The police do not care if you are a minor or not. Definitely check that before you start going to town/having fun. Back when I was living in MS/TN I did hunt squirrels, legally in the woods. Some of us used a 12-gauge shotguns loaded with bird shot, and some of us used .22 hollow points. With the shotgun we could hit in the general area and the squirrels would drop and drop out of the tree, with the .22 we had to do head shots or at least front shoulder or else they would run away in the trees. Sometime with a bad hit with a .22 we could get them to drop off the tree, but still suffer after hitting the ground.

What kind of bird feeder? Is it suspended by a cord or a string? A classic method of deterring squirrels on bird feeders suspended on a wire is to use a OLD 33 rpm record and suspend it slightly above the feeder with just a knot large enough to hold the disk/record in place but still let it tilt (The knot would be in the bottom of the disk). The idea is that the record would be wide enough to keep the squirrel from getting a good landing, and when the squirrel gets land on the side of the record to try and reach for the feeder the weight of the squirrel would cause the disk to lean too far thus causing the squirrel to fall off and completely miss the feeder. After a few times the squirrels will either keep trying and falling or finally give up. The bad thing is that squirrels are very persistent and very creative.

Raccoons are a different matter.
Doing what I can to earn my title from the old forum, one post at a time.
zenmic
Cranky Old Fart: I can prove I'm right

Postby Sniper King on Mon May 18, 2009 9:24 am

I've had good luck with hollow point pellets :D. And depending on which side your facing them, there's a different place to shoot them. If the little pest is sideways like this, aim at the red spot (shoulder).
CAMOUFLAGE
Sniper King
Silver General

Postby zebco on Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Im strictly head shots, a squirrels skin is tough as crap. My sister has a tazer, thats always fun :lol: :mrgreen:
FORMERLY @irsoftR
zebco
Gold General

Postby merkon on Mon May 18, 2009 2:09 pm

I think .12s should suffice... /JK
Mira- Kill Count: 100+ :)
Winner of PMG LMG Contest
merkon
Dragoon

Postby adog12341 on Mon May 18, 2009 4:00 pm

zenmic wrote:adog12341, I forget where are you located? There are parts of the US that have issues even with airguns (bb/pellet guns, airsoft guns, or paintball guns) being shot inside city limits. The police do not care if you are a minor or not. Definitely check that before you start going to town/having fun. Back when I was living in MS/TN I did hunt squirrels, legally in the woods. Some of us used a 12-gauge shotguns loaded with bird shot, and some of us used .22 hollow points. With the shotgun we could hit in the general area and the squirrels would drop and drop out of the tree, with the .22 we had to do head shots or at least front shoulder or else they would run away in the trees. Sometime with a bad hit with a .22 we could get them to drop off the tree, but still suffer after hitting the ground.

What kind of bird feeder? Is it suspended by a cord or a string? A classic method of deterring squirrels on bird feeders suspended on a wire is to use a OLD 33 rpm record and suspend it slightly above the feeder with just a knot large enough to hold the disk/record in place but still let it tilt (The knot would be in the bottom of the disk). The idea is that the record would be wide enough to keep the squirrel from getting a good landing, and when the squirrel gets land on the side of the record to try and reach for the feeder the weight of the squirrel would cause the disk to lean too far thus causing the squirrel to fall off and completely miss the feeder. After a few times the squirrels will either keep trying and falling or finally give up. The bad thing is that squirrels are very persistent and very creative.

Raccoons are a different matter.

thanks for the warning zenmic, but they are located out of city lines, kinda in the country, but populated enough not to be called the country. Sadly, we were all playing outside so no squrrels came out ): mabye next time :roll:
THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY.
My Youtube Channel
SHOW THEM NO FEAR, SHOW THEM NO PAIN.
adog12341
Eat. Sleep. Live on the forum

Postby SPC on Thu May 21, 2009 6:26 pm

today a squirrel came by, and my L85 was handy. Knocked right off the porch, and got him again as he ran across the lawn :D
SPC
=|BANNED|=

Postby Sionadi on Thu May 21, 2009 7:26 pm

if you can use a .22 rifle with .22 shorts, or butterfly rounds, they are silent (the butterfly rounds) and both wont do much harm past 30 yards, but they will kill a squirrel within 20 yards, and remember if you kill them eat them squirrel is very good and is a delicacy in my household and to many of my friends which i brought squirrel jerky too :D
If my garage was on fire you would see me hauling a** down the street. You better try and keep up.
Sionadi
Gold General

PreviousNext

Return to Other off topic