WD-40

Got problem with your airsoft gun? Find out here

WD-40

Postby Smibzz on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Ok so im dumb. My gbb 1911 pistol was grinding because of an unknown reason, so i sprayed some WD-40 in it hoping it would lube it enough for it to stop grinding. After about 30 minutes my friend said i am dumb for doing so, so he said to dry it out and dont touch it till i get more silicone lube. Am i safe or am i f**d? I spent 160$ on it and i dont want to have it be unusable. What to do?
M1911 GBB Kill Count: 76
R700 Sniper Kill Count: 4
M4A1 Kill Count: 115
Money spent so far: $720.00
YouTube:Http://www.YouTube.com/user/Smibzz
Samuel L. Jackson wrote:I have had it with these monkey flipping snakes on this Monday through Friday plane!
Smibzz
Lance

Re: WD-40

Postby Jonas on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:57 pm

It won't ruin the whole gun, at the most it'll ruin your bucking and mag seals. Yeah...don't do that...
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
Jonas
King General

Postby Smibzz on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Yea, ive noticed i run out of gas faster. Could that be a result of the wd-40 or is my gas can just runninlow?
Samuel L. Jackson wrote:I have had it with these monkey flipping snakes on this Monday through Friday plane!
Smibzz
Lance

Postby Jonas on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Could be both, can't say for sure.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Jonas
King General

Postby Smibzz on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Alright well once i get my lube i might as well switch the o-rings just to be safe. Thanks man!
Smibzz
Lance

Postby baklash 1337 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:38 pm

It actually wan't ruin anything. I've thrown buckings and o-rings into jars of gasoline to see what would happen...and nothing did (unless your airsoft gun is made of latex which is impossible). My suggestion to you is just to not use it because it's dirty, otherwise it would be A-OK. I'd clean out all the places you sprayed it if I were you. If your handgun is making a grinding noise when being used, it's probably due to an obstruction. Field strip your handgun and try to diagnose what is wrong.

Also, your mags may not be very gas efficient because of lack of lube. Now I'm not sure if the WD-40 would work as good for seals as silicone oil, but it's likely not the problem. If you are using propane, spray a small amount of silicone either into the adapter or into the opening of the can itself. Fill the mags affected and dispense the gas via shooting about five times and that should lube your mags and handgun plenty. Now when you store your mag, put a very small amount of propane in it to keep the seal strong to prevent it from leaking. A well-taken care of mag will retain its gas for weeks, maybe even months or years (yes, I once found a rusted 1911 magazine that looked to have been abandoned for a year or so that still had a considerable amount of gas in it). So if you're having trouble keeping gas in a mag for a day, then you will need to continue maitenance.
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby Smibzz on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 pm

Thank you baklash, that was very helpful. I have no idea how, or why, but the grinding on my barrel only happens when i have the orange tip on. Take it off, everything is fine, no grinding or anything, all smooth. As soon as it comes on my barrel, i need excessive force to pull back the slide. This is not a big deal for me because i do not like the orange tips anyways, and i only really take my gun into public when its in my bag on my way to my airsoft arena. And i also figured out i wasnt putting the gas in long enough. So im just being safe by switching the o-rings out of the effected areas. Also i have green gas that is self lubricating. I will try your tip on "gas in the mag" while storing. Seems like a great concept, except the fact i use my pistol alot, since my m4 cant maneuver around corners quite well, and the arena i play it is mainly CQB. Thank you all for your helpful advice, and i look forward to getting this gun back into action.
Smibzz
Lance

Postby baklash 1337 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:52 pm

Ok, well green gas will just make it much easier to perform maitenance...just simply use your handgun :P

If you purchase a new can of green gas and the problems persist, just come back and we can find a way to hep you out.
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby Jonas on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:40 am

WD-40 just sort of...gums things up in the wrong systems, it has a bad tendency to get in places that you don't want it; it's not quite as viscous as we would like it to be.

The general rule in airsoft maintenance is that if you need excessive force to do something...you're doing it wrong. Examine the front of your gun (magazine out) as you pull back the slide with the orange tip on. If I had to guess, I'd say that the inside of the orange tip is slightly smaller than the outer diameter of your inner barrel (do you have the stock inner barrel in, or an aftermarket one?), and when you pull back on your slide you have to overcome the brief period during a cycle when the outer barrel, including the orange tip, moves backwards on the inner barrel, and in doing so you're essentially grinding down the outside of your inner barrel or inside of your orange tip (whichever one is softer).
Jonas
King General

Postby HolyHandGrenade on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 pm

WD-40 gums stuff up because it has a high viscosity and also becomes sticky-ish with time, so Baklash's "experiment" was looking into the wrong aspect. Using WD-40 in an airsoft gun is not a very bright idea at all if you want it to function correctly and continue to do so.

Gosh, I wish I had a penny for every time this question is asked. :P
HolyHandGrenade
King General

Next

Return to Tech Talk